Thursday, September 22, 2011

Carpe Diem

Life is crazy.  Everyone can agree with me on that.  Sometimes, it feels like I don't even have time to breathe.  Especially now that school started, I am more stressed, very busy, and less apt to care about others.  I am so focused on getting homework done or making it to practice on time, I have lost sight of the things that are truly important.  On my door, I have written Phillipians 4:13 on a piece of construction paper.  I walk through that door hundreds of times a day and don't even take a second glance at the verse.  There is so much encouragement in "I can do all things through Christ who stengethens me", yet I ignore it.  High school is hard, and it's not always easy to live a Christ-centered life.  But if I were just to take a few seconds out of my day to look at that verse, it would make it a little easier.  Facing the day wouldn't be such a burden.

It seems the majority of us are losing something that should be essential in every day life: compassion.  No longer are we so concerned with others, unless it's juicy gossip or the latest "story".  When you ask someone how they are, do you care what the answer is?  Or is it a question you ask on the way to your next destination?  Do you hear the reply, or is it just a fleeting moment in your busy day?  It should not be burdensome to listen to someone who needs help, or say a little prayer for someone is going through tough times.  Yet it sure seems like it's a lot of trouble to do this! Why are we so keen to fill our day with meaningless activities?  Do they make us happy? Not usually! Do they honor God? Absoutely not!  Do they express our love to others? Probably not! We are caught up an ongoing cycle of just going through the motions.  We are just exisiting, not really living.  The question I have for you today is will you be the one to break the cycle?
       
"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things."
I'm not sure who said that, but it is so true.  We get so caught up in this and that, we don't realize how precious and beautiful life is.  When I am old, I want to have wonderful memories of people I love and care about, not how much homework I had or how busy I was. I want to be able to look back and say "Man, that was fun." I want to be the one to dance in the rain, siezing every moment like it will be my last.  You only have a short time on this earth, so do what you can do honor God and have fun!  

No comments:

Post a Comment